Concierge Companion Forum - Galloping Gastronomique

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2019, 04:11:13 PM

Home | Help | Search | Login | Register
+  Concierge Companion Forum
|-+  The Main Lounge
| |-+  Epicurious
| | |-+  Galloping Gastronomique
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Galloping Gastronomique  (Read 12303 times)
Kat O'9Tales
Ladies

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2012, 07:39:40 AM »

Schizophrenia beats dining alone. -Oscar Levant

What's your favorite cuisine? What's that thing you used to get when you lived or visited there, whereever there was, can't get here, and you wish you could?

Whats something you love, but others think is odd, strange, or yucky?  (Yucky= highly technical term.)

Do you cook? Whats your specialty?

Do you drink wine? If yes, do you prefer white or red? 

What about beer? Dark ale or light pilsner? 

Aged scotch or Strawberry margarita?

Mild, medium, spicy, or "call the fired apartment!" 

Do you have a conviction regarding chocolate? Dark, milk, semi-sweet, or white? Are you a purist, or do you like it with nuts, fruit, or other additions? Which countrys chocolate do you prefer? (Assuming you have a chocolate conviction, of course.)

Bon Apptit!
alexslogan
CdM Featured Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 08:47:35 AM »

What's your favorite cuisine? What's that thing you used to get when you lived or visited there, whereever there was, can't get here, and you wish you could? There are 3 cities where I can get a pastrami sandwich to die for.

Whats something you love, but others think is odd, strange, or yucky?  (Yucky= highly technical term.) Tongue

Do you cook? Whats your specialty? Yes; anything from hot dogs to gourmet. The house specialties are sweet and sour meatballs and a KILLER chocolate mousse (If I say so myself)

Do you drink wine? If yes, do you prefer white or red? Red

What about beer? Dark ale or light pilsner?  Dark ale

Aged scotch or Strawberry margarita? Scotch

Mild, medium, spicy, or "call the fired apartment!"  Spicy

Do you have a conviction regarding chocolate? Dark, milk, semi-sweet, or white? Are you a purist, or do you like it with nuts, fruit, or other additions? Which countrys chocolate do you prefer? (Assuming you have a chocolate conviction, of course.)  Dark, purist; Swiss or Belgian

Yes, Virginia (http://www.nysun.com/editorials/yes-virginia/68502/), Alex is Santa Claus  ...........................   
"If morning's echo says we sinned,
 well, it was what I wanted now."
www.alexslogan.com
Kat O'9Tales
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 08:59:41 AM »

Alex likes to tongue - excellent.  /cheerleader
James Craig
CdM Featured Companion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 10:33:17 AM »

What's your favorite cuisine? 

French, Morrocan, Persian. Love the way each cuisines flavors all come together. Good yet basic ingredients thrown together to produce amazing tastes. 

What's that thing you used to get when you lived or visited there, whereever there was, can't get here, and you wish you could?

A good Parisian Croque Monsieur.

Whats something you love, but others think is odd, strange, or yucky?  (Yucky= highly technical term.)

Toasted Pt and Pickle sandwiches. Takes me back to days working in London. The two ingredients actually work very well.

Speciality would be, (if I dare use the word) Coq au Vin

Red. Not too heavy, generally blended like Bordeaux's or it's US equivalent Meritage. I prefer these over single grape varieties.

What about beer? Dark ale or light pilsner? 

Depends on the day/ weather/ event but I'm not a big beer drinker these days.

Neither but if I had to then Scotch.

Medium/spicy. It's as much as I can handle.

Do you have a conviction regarding chocolate? Dark, milk, semi-sweet, or white? Are you a purist, or do you like it with nuts, fruit, or other additions? Which countrys chocolate do you prefer? (Assuming you have a chocolate conviction, of course.)

Yes. Darker the better but I find 70% cacao content about perfect for me. Lindt is probably my favorite closely followed by Ghiradelli's Intense Dark 72%. I like to savor chocolate rather than just eat it. The good thing about dark chocolate is that it only takes about 2-3 squares and it's enough.
Love it with good coffee, and sometimes strawberries.

Bon Apptit!

Gracias. :)
Quinn
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 02:52:26 PM »

What's your favorite cuisine? What's that thing you used to get when you lived or visited there, whereever there was, can't get here, and you wish you could?

Can't possibly pick one favorite. As for the food I can no longer get, that would be tender (melt -in- your- mouth)  perfectly battered fried chicken gizzards (I know - that probably goes under yucky).

Whats something you love, but others think is odd, strange, or yucky?  (Yucky= highly technical term.)

See above. Also liver and onions.

Yes. A perfect pot roast.

Don't drink it.

None.

Neither. I'm not much of a drinker, but I like a sloe gin fizz or a pina colada once in a while.

Mild, medium,
 spicy, or "call the fired apartment!"

Mild to medium.

Do you have a conviction regarding chocolate? Dark, milk, semi-sweet, or white? Are you a purist, or do you like it with nuts, fruit, or other additions? Which countrys chocolate do you prefer? (Assuming you have a chocolate conviction, of course.)

I like them all. Plain, or with additions, dark to white. Lindt is probably my favorite, but I like lots of others.
Ellen
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 03:48:05 PM »

What a great thread!  Thanks for starting it Kat!

What's your favorite cuisine? What's that thing you used to get when you lived or visited there, whereever there was, can't get here, and you wish you could?
Favorite cuisine is Asian, Indian or Middle Eastern - the real stuff, not the imitation US version. 
Lately I've had the hankering for a really good English "High Tea" with the girls - Tea with milk (not the same in the States as it was in England - was it the milk or the fine bone china or the surroundings that made it different?), finger sandwiches, scones with clotted cream - I would be out of my wardrobe quickly if I lived in England!

Whats something you love, but others think is odd, strange, or yucky?  (Yucky= highly technical term.)
I'm not that adventurous - tried fois gras with a former boyfriend - hated it.  Had rattlesnake once and alligator tail once (key word, once).  Won't touch escargot or any type of insect.  I would have a tough time with tongue, Alex.  BTW, liver and onions brings back memories of childhood when I refused to eat it at the dinner table and went without supper at least once a week since my parents liked it so much!

Rarely do I cook anything fancy (tough to cook fancy for only one), but I did get into Indian cooking at one point and used to have dinner parties for my friends who at least pretended to like it.

Red - particularly the reds that have "legs" when you swirl them in the glass.

Pale ale

Either - no frou fou umbrellas, though.

Medium to spicy

Conviction regarding chocolate?  I would be convicted if it was illegal!  Usually dark, usually pure, (also a Lindt afficianado), but sometimes there is just nothing that beats a Hershey bar like you remember from childhood!
Kat O'9Tales
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 07:17:41 PM »

What's your favorite cuisine? Mexican, Indian, Thai, French, Chinese, Japanese, Greek, Moroccan --  maybe what I don't like is a shorter list.  

What's that thing you used to get when you lived or visited there, where ever there was, can't get here, and you wish you could? When I was in Norway the host mom made this apple and cream dessert I've never been able to duplicate. 

Whats something you love, but others think is odd, strange, or yucky?  (Yucky= highly technical term.)  menudo (tripe), beef heart in wine sauce, 

Do you cook? Whats your specialty? I don't cook much anymore, but I loved to make stuffed grape leaves, cous cous with caramelized onions and saut veggies, sweet and sour pork with egg rolls, gumbo -not all in one meal, of course

Do you drink wine? If yes, do you prefer white or red?  Like Ellen, I like leggy, dry reds. However, in the summer a chilled white that is not Chardonnay is lovely. 

What about beer? Dark ale or light pilsner? Amber

Aged scotch or Strawberry margarita? Scotch 

Mild, medium, spicy, or "call the fired apartment!" depends on the cuisine. I like Thai so hot tears stream down my face. I prefer Mexican med/spicy So I can savor the underlying flavors.  It's hard to find authentic Indian, however I'm lucky that friends and coworkers indulge me with their homeland favorites. 

Do you have a conviction regarding chocolate? Dark, milk, semi-sweet, or white? Are you a purist, or do you like it with nuts, fruit, or other additions? Which countrys chocolate do you prefer? (Assuming you have a chocolate conviction, of course.)
I have a deeply held conviction: chocolate=yes 
Kat O'9Tales
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 07:32:43 PM »

Neither. I'm not much of a drinker, but I like a sloe gin fizz or a pina colada once in a while.

Quinn, should we ever meet you'll need to introduce me to a sloe gin fizz.  /clap2
Quinn
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 07:54:39 PM »

Would be glad to, Kat, but there's not much to it: Seven-up and sloe gin. Very fruity. I can't stand the taste of alcohol, so I have to have sweet drinks that mask it. That's why I seldom drink.
Kat O'9Tales
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 07:58:08 PM »

You dared. I'm shocked.   /cheekkiss
Madison
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 08:08:28 PM »

@ Alex, a killer chocolate mousse......sounds yummy ;)

@ James, Croque Monsieur.......very, very yummy
but, toasted pate' and pickled sandwiches? I think I'll take your word on that one. ;)
Kat O'9Tales
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 08:36:06 PM »

but, toasted pate' and pickled sandwiches? I think I'll take your word on that one. ;)

I double-dog dare you to try it.  /cheers
James Craig
CdM Featured Companion

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 08:37:46 PM »

/rolleye2

You dared. I'm shocked.   /cheekkiss

That I used the word "speciality" or "Coq?"  /rolleye2
James Craig
CdM Featured Companion

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 08:41:31 PM »

Actually they're very good. :) Personally I can't stand Liver but Liver Pt is okay and when you add that juicy, crunchy, sour dill pickle to it's awesome. I have no idea how I came up with it. Probably during my first pregnancy ;)
Guest007

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 08:43:02 PM »

What's your favorite cuisine? What's that thing you used to get when you lived or visited there, wherever there was, can't get here, and you wish you could? Greek food is the favorite at the moment. There's this amazing Greek spot in the Dupont Circle area of DC called Zorba's Cafe (HIGHLY RECOMMEND), that will leave you feeling like you just had an oral orgasm. I spend two years in Seoul, South Korea and there's this beer... mmmmmmmhmm...yummy. I'll mention it more below. I also love Korean BBQ (especially Bulgogi w/ lettuce leaf).

Whats something you love, but others think is odd, strange, or yucky?  (Yucky= highly technical term.)
Ketchup on rice. Any kind of rice really. White rice. Brown rice. Spanish rice. I always say don't knock something until you try it. And then try it again. And if still not convinced? I mean really?!? How can you not LOVE Ketchup w/ rice!!!

Do you cook? Whats your specialty? Sadly... never became a Maverick at this specialty. Must make a mental note to learn how to boil water. Any questions about wine?

Do you drink wine? If yes, do you prefer white or red? Oh! Here we go! Of course. Love it. Drink at least two (ok... maybe four or five) glasses wine a day. Sort of like The Real Housewives of DC. I consider myself more of a red wine connoisseur, but have been easing my toes into white and Ros {Blush} wine on a regular basis. Favorite whites: Riesling, Pinot Grigio and Viognier. Reds: Beaujolais and Bordeaux. But if stuck on a desert island and had to have my $$$ worth of inexpensive wine? I would hands down always resort to Australia's  [ yellow tail ] brand of Cabernet Sauvignon. It is an esophagus's wet dream. I am a fan of light, dry wines. Sweet desert wines are nice w/ company, but by my lonesome w/ Marion Meadows on repeat? Drizzy night. /LOL  

What about beer? Dark ale or light pilsner? I'll go light again w/ this answer. But for the life of me there is this Dark ale I had once in South Korea... wow! It was a German brew, I cannot remember the name but it had this Oatmeal flavor. It was a beer that was just toooo delicious. I can distinctively remember saying the slogan should be something along the lines of "Breakfast for champions" lol it was that damn good.

Aged scotch or Strawberry margarita? We'll do the margarita because I can't handle anything remotely "heavy." Seriously. I am such a cheap date. Two Bud Lights and I'm pretty much tipsy. Think the term is lightweight? Which confuses me because I take wine sooooo easily.

Mild, medium, spicy, or "call the fired apartment!" Very mild. Or medium, depending on the time of day. I leave spicy for the bedroom.

Do you have a conviction regarding chocolate? Dark, milk, semi-sweet, or white? Are you a purist, or do you like it with nuts, fruit, or other additions? Which countrys chocolate do you prefer? (Assuming you have a chocolate conviction, of course.) I was once told I was made out of Dark chocolate, but I'm not all too sure there is a way to prove that. I am a purist by trade. But have you ever had Dark chocolate (w/ almonds) and sweet grapes and honey? Pretty much foreplay in a nutshell. While we're at it, throw in a bottle of Martini & Rossi Asti Sparkling Wine!!

Bon Apptit!  /cheers
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
Concierge Companion Forum, Galloping Gastronomique - Theme by Mustang Forums