Concierge Companion Forum - What's on your mind?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 22, 2020, 07:12:20 PM

Home | Help | Search | Login | Register
+  Concierge Companion Forum
|-+  The Main Lounge
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  What's on your mind?
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 Print
Author Topic: What's on your mind?  (Read 109110 times)
Quinn
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #705 on: April 13, 2016, 11:19:13 AM »

I hope they really do look into it. We don't need that kind of harassment.

I just read an article about how many women have been sexually assaulted by Uber drivers. Someone in Biston decided to start a similar service with all female drivers who are very carefully security screened. But today I saw where some group is saying that's sex discrimination. God forbid women should have a way to be safer. I wish men who protest hints like this could be women for a few days and see what it's like to be hassled on the street, and have to worry about what every strange man has on his mind when are alone in public. I suppose I'm just ranting, but sometimes I think it might be nice to change places with men for awhile.
NoGNoG
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #706 on: April 18, 2016, 05:31:55 PM »

Quinn -  It is okay to speak up. :)  You are not ranting. Your opinion is important.

It took Smith multiple visits with a patient, "Uber is safe." and I kept saying,  "No, Thank you."
Six years of visits and the visit earlier this month with the discussion from him was, "Don't I always keep you safe? I have always kept you safe. Would I put you in a car that did not have a safe driver?"  The exasperation of lack of trust on my part over a car ride was in his voice. How could I not hear it? All of what he was saying was true.

This month it was 11 P.M. and he put me in an Uber to drive me 15 miles.  I was too tired to be fearful. His last comment was, "I know the driver and I will know where you are." I arrived at my destination safely and the driver waited till I was in my own car with the doors locked with the motor running before he left.

This past weekend Smith did all of my transportation arrangements and had Uber pick me up and drive me 40 miles into San Francisco.  The driver was nice and we listened to the Golden State Warrior Basketball game on the drive in to the City.  The drive was less stressful then what I usually do, which is drive for 20 minutes to take BART into the City.  Smith was happy I was safe and well taken care of, too.  I did not know how much my safety and well being was on his mind with the way I was traveling. He can track the car. He knows the license and make of the car and the driver's name.  In so many ways this last engagement was an eye-opener and Uber was the start.

Being in the line of work I am in sexual harassment has a possibility of popping up anywhere and is truly based on one's perception of what is harassment is for them.

Just as pedophiles are at the center of a least likely social group, the whole of society can not be judged by the few that show their ugly faces.  Sexual harassment is the same.  I know my percentage of known Uber drivers have been friendly, courteous and helpful. Half have been women.  Think of them, the women Uber drivers, and the male strangers getting into their vehicle. The risk for them to earn some extra money.

I have empathy for those who have been sexually assaulted by an Uber driver.  But their fear can not rule me anymore.  I can not be protected from everything.  I know Smith would not put me in harms way.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 05:35:07 PM by NoGNoG » Logged
"If you believe passionately in what you are doing and whom you are doing it with, success is bound to follow.
~Anisa Kamadoli Costa
Quinn
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #707 on: April 18, 2016, 07:54:35 PM »

Thank you for your support, NoG. Your situation with Smith knowing the drivers and tracking the cars makes it quite safe. It might be a different story with a woman hiring Uber when by herself in a strange city. Here's an interesting site on the subject:

http://www.whosdrivingyou.org/rideshare-incidents
kitana
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #708 on: April 20, 2016, 03:56:46 AM »

Wo Quinn, that's something! Hope everything is resolved.  :-[

You are hitting a nerve here with this talk about Uber, my mother bought a small taxi company two years ago and grew it to 8x what it was. Very very difficult business, and we don't have Uber were I live yet. But I saw her work with the heavy legislations surrounding taxi business, her employees need to have no criminal records at all for their licenses to be renewed and it is reevaluated every year, her vehicles need to be inspected every 2 months, she faces hefty fines of many thousands$ if she doesn't comply, she pays huge insurance amounts so that her clients are fully covered in case of an accident. Huge financial constraints, and very heavy legislation. But through her adventures in the taxi world I learned that, in Canada at least, we are very safe with taxi drivers, their cars are safe and very well maintained mechanically, they have insurances in case of an accident, and no one with a criminal record can have a taxi license. You would never, ever see me calling a Uber because of that: they don't have insurances, mandatory vehicle inspections, and they can have a past as dark as a Sith lord if they want, no one would know. And I'm not even talking about how they don't pay taxes on their revenues...
Hunt hard. Kill swiftly. Waste nothing. Offer no apologies.
Quinn
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #709 on: April 20, 2016, 08:18:45 AM »

Kitana, the taxi companies where I live are dealing with these issues, too. Uber is moving in even to the smaller Midwestern cities, and the taxi companies are hurt by that. I have never used Uber, and probably never will, but even using a taxi is rare for me. Regardless the whole Uber/taxi situation is complex.
Tealight
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #710 on: May 20, 2016, 05:44:51 PM »

Waited all week for Friday, only to have it kick my butt :(

Thank goodness for margaritas! :D
SSDGM
NoGNoG
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #711 on: May 24, 2016, 12:34:05 PM »

I miss the automatic notifications.

Did they get resolved and I am set up incorrectly, or they weren't resolved?

I miss you all.
"If you believe passionately in what you are doing and whom you are doing it with, success is bound to follow.
~Anisa Kamadoli Costa
Quinn
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #712 on: May 24, 2016, 02:15:28 PM »

I don't think they were resolved. Regardless, the forum has been far too quiet.  :(
alexslogan
CdM Featured Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #713 on: May 25, 2016, 02:32:03 AM »

They did not get resolved yet.
Yes, Virginia (http://www.nysun.com/editorials/yes-virginia/68502/), Alex is Santa Claus  ...........................   
"If morning's echo says we sinned,
 well, it was what I wanted now."
www.alexslogan.com
Kat O'9Tales
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #714 on: May 25, 2016, 05:13:14 PM »

Hi  /cheerleader

I'm still alive. I wanted to stop by and say hi to everyone. Lots been going on in my world, divorce, new job, couple of law suits... I just call that Tuesday.

I can't promise I'll return to regularly contributing, but I can promise I think about my friends here frequently, and I do miss you all.

Warmly,
Kat
Quinn
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: May 25, 2016, 07:31:20 PM »

Good to hear from you, Kat. Hope all those events are going in your favor.
Liquidfyre
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #716 on: May 25, 2016, 07:42:23 PM »

I too, am still alive, barely, as work has taken all my time, energy and focus. Has it been worth it?  I think so, as I love what I'm doing and the application of my work makes a real difference to our customers, the company and our employees. It was a real shift going from a role in which I was very good, with lots of political capital, to a new role and profession where I knew no one and my reputation mattered not a bit.

On the downside, I had to cancel an engagement with one of the gentlemen here because WORK... /seren <--- this is me singing a song of woe

I'm hoping for a quieter, gentler summer and to kick it off, I think I'll hit up the drive-in this weekend to see the new X-Men movie (but not superman vs batman because I've never liked either of them).
Make me laugh. Engage my mind. Make me want you with your words. Teach me something new.
Quinn
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #717 on: May 25, 2016, 08:34:11 PM »

I hope you get to reschedule your engagement, and get that quiet summer, Liquidfyre. Glad to see you back, too.
Tealight
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #718 on: May 25, 2016, 09:19:35 PM »

Good to hear from both of you :)

I echo Quinn's sentiments and hope you have a lovelier summer ahead of you. ;)
SSDGM
NoGNoG
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #719 on: June 08, 2016, 08:41:57 PM »

I pushed my spring out and went to the Indy 500, for the 100 running of the race. Oh and to see my older sister👍
I had great seats and it was wonderful for a Northern California guy to win!

I saw Smith through the thr Spring.  We did the ballet twice. Went to a great restaurant in SF two blocks from the War Memorial called The Boxing Room. On Gough.  The banana pudding was as if my grandmother had made it and they have an extensive libation menu of bourbon, rye and whiskey.  We had some great times.

I'm quiet here at home for June and watching my Sharks in hockey finals and Golden State Warriors in NBA Finals. I head to NOLA in July.  I think of everyone here but I miss being notified someone has posted.

Love to all of you.
NoGNoG
~Anisa Kamadoli Costa
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
Concierge Companion Forum, What's on your mind? - Theme by Mustang Forums