Concierge Companion Forum - Lance Armstrong

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2019, 08:49:32 AM

Home | Help | Search | Login | Register
+  Concierge Companion Forum
|-+  The Main Lounge
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Lance Armstrong
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Lance Armstrong  (Read 1998 times)
James Craig
CdM Featured Companion

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2012, 08:51:42 AM »

A Champion of cancer prevention/cure/control or a serial drug cheating sportsman? How do you think the majority will remember Lance 10 years from now?
MarcoLajoie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 11:42:31 AM »

i think he will be remembered as the champ of cycling. Yes his public record was tainted, but personally, he is still the champ that he was.
I love women! Especially those respect themselves
James Craig
CdM Featured Companion

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 12:05:37 PM »

i think he will be remembered as the champ of cycling. Yes his public record was tainted, but personally, he is still the champ that he was.

I guess it depends on how this all turns out. To be fair to Armstrong he's never tested positive (that we know) and has always denied doping. The charges against him, the amount of people supporting those charges, plus his lack of desire to defend himself, however does make it seem that he was in fact guilty of everything laid against him. If it all proves true and he is stripped of all titles won during that period it's going to be hard to perceive him of anything other than a cheat. Remembering him as a champion would be like remembering Ben Johnson as the Olympic 100m King in the 80's.

I'm thinking he will soon jump into PR spin mode, "fess" up to "some" shenanigans that he did (but not all), and that he's not proud of that part of his life, but he's learned from them and is moving on. (The standard "caught with your pants down" response to being busted.) That way he remains with some dignity, his charity takes a small hit in donations initially, and then things slowly get forgotten over time.

alexslogan
CdM Featured Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 02:32:34 PM »

Well, apparently he did have a positive test that was covered up by a pre-dated prescription. Not proven, but certainly enough testimony to that effect to make it a likely event.

I think he'll be remembered as a flawed champion who beat everyone at the same game and then did some amazing charity work.
Yes, Virginia (http://www.nysun.com/editorials/yes-virginia/68502/), Alex is Santa Claus  ...........................   
"If morning's echo says we sinned,
 well, it was what I wanted now."
www.alexslogan.com
James Craig
CdM Featured Companion

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 04:45:44 PM »

I think he'll be remembered as a flawed champion who beat everyone at the same game and then did some amazing charity work.

I agree that this is the most likely conclusion.
Ellen
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 08:40:32 PM »

Really quite sad - particularly when he probably could have done it all on his own without blood doping.
alexslogan
CdM Featured Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 09:55:50 PM »

Quite sad, yes. Even sadder:  honestly I don't think he could have won without the doping with all the others who were doing it. I have to assume that all the top riders were doping and that without doping he would never have been able to climb the mountains the way he did and would not have won any of the Tours.
Yes, Virginia (http://www.nysun.com/editorials/yes-virginia/68502/), Alex is Santa Claus  ...........................   
"If morning's echo says we sinned,
 well, it was what I wanted now."
www.alexslogan.com
Madison
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 12:50:10 AM »

I think that it is all quite sad on many levels. I think his name will always be tainted, and not remembered as a champion. As a parent it makes me angry, these athletes are teaching our children that it's okay to cheat to become number one in their sport. He and others are not the type of role models that I want for my children. His use of drugs to make him a winner in reality has tainted him for the rest of his life. He has not only hurt himself, but also the charity that helps cancer patients. Very disappointing...........

Madi
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
Concierge Companion Forum, Lance Armstrong - Theme by Mustang Forums