Concierge Companion Forum - Sex worker rights activism Let's support Amnesty International

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 19, 2020, 08:57:46 AM

Home | Help | Search | Login | Register
+  Concierge Companion Forum
|-+  The Main Lounge
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Sex worker rights activism Let's support Amnesty International
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sex worker rights activism Let's support Amnesty International  (Read 2888 times)
Maxime Durocher
CdM Featured Companion

Maxime Durocher

View Profile WWW
« on: July 31, 2015, 01:10:12 PM »

Hi everyone,

Some of you already know that I'm sex worker rights activist, but to those of you who don't, I do this because I really believe that our profession needs safer environments to evolve in.

Amnesty International recently posted that it was considering, after long studies and after talking to sex workers around the world, officially adopting a decriminalization position concerning all sex work. That revelation brought some ill advised Hollywood stars to send a letter condemning such a move on the part of Amnesty International.

Sex workers all around the world told them to shut the fuck up. We have a voice and we'll speak about our own business and not let others talk for us just because they have played a prostitute in a fucking movie.

Brought by this rightful outrage, a petition was born on Change.org to support Amnesty International in moving forward and take this decriminalization stance.

Please, sign the petition:
https://www.change.org/p/amnesty-international-secretary-general-amnesty-international-board-amnesty-international-council-we-call-on-the-amnesty-international-council-to-stand-firm-and-support-decriminalisation-of-sex-work-and-protect-the-human-rights-of-sex-workers

On the subject, there are two hashtag you might want to tweet:
#pledgedecrim
#amnesty4sexworkers

Here's one of my tweet on the subject:
https://twitter.com/DurocherMaxime/status/626547868816551940

Here are some nice articles on the subject:
https://storify.com/swopusa/sex-workers-bash-celebrity-position-on-amnesty-pos
https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/voices/why-amnesty-international-must-hold-firm-its-support-sex-workers
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/07/how-pledgedecrim-takes-sex-worker-rights-mainstream

In the same line of thoughts, here's a very telling TED talk:
http://www.ted.com/talks/noy_thrupkaew_human_trafficking_is_all_around_you_this_is_how_it_works

Here's another that's also related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZQkIw1MH3E
Visit my website: MaximeDurocher.com

Favorite expressions in English: "Shit happens", "Whatever" and "Deal with it".
Debra
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 05:48:33 AM »

Thank you for posting this!

I signed the petition and posted the link to it on another forum. 

A very big problem with the movement to decriminalize/legalize sex work here in the US is that although many (if not most) female providers I know support it, they are too frightened of the possible harassment and repercussions of speaking up.   
The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.  ~Coco Chanel
Maxime Durocher
CdM Featured Companion

Maxime Durocher

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 11:57:53 AM »

A very big problem with the movement to decriminalize/legalize sex work here in the US is that although many (if not most) female providers I know support it, they are too frightened of the possible harassment and repercussions of speaking up.   

It is a real problem.

I use my privilege as a straight 41 years old white male living in Canada to do as much as I can for sex worker rights.

Kai
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 07:58:00 PM »

Signed. Sex work has been legal in New Zealand for a while now and the rest of the world needs to catch up. It is an honest profession and one of the oldest. We are long overdue for erasing the stigma.
Mā te rongo, ka mōhio; Mā te mōhio, ka mārama; Mā te mārama, ka mātau; Mā te mātau, ka ora.

Through resonance comes cognisance; through cognisance comes understanding; through understanding comes knowledge; through knowledge comes life and well-being.
Maxime Durocher
CdM Featured Companion

Maxime Durocher

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 08:43:58 PM »

Signed. Sex work has been legal in New Zealand for a while now and the rest of the world needs to catch up.

Fuck yeah!

It is an honest profession and one of the oldest. We are long overdue for erasing the stigma.

I think I love you.  LOL

Kai
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 05:03:32 AM »

Ah sorry if I sound so militant in my replies. My mouth tends to get carried away with what my brain should most likely think about more if I'm passionate about something. Even before making friends who work in the industry, this was a pet peeve of mine. Lol @ me  /thumbsup
Mā te rongo, ka mōhio; Mā te mōhio, ka mārama; Mā te mārama, ka mātau; Mā te mātau, ka ora.

Through resonance comes cognisance; through cognisance comes understanding; through understanding comes knowledge; through knowledge comes life and well-being.
Quinn
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 07:27:28 AM »

Signed. Definitely something that needs to happen.
Maxime Durocher
CdM Featured Companion

Maxime Durocher

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 09:05:57 AM »

Ah sorry if I sound so militant in my replies.

No need to apologies.  :)

My mouth tends to get carried away with what my brain should most likely think about more if I'm passionate about something. Even before making friends who work in the industry, this was a pet peeve of mine. Lol @ me  /thumbsup

I totally understand.

Signed. Definitely something that needs to happen.

Totally needs to.

Kai
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 12:29:39 PM »

Question: Is it okay to share the link elsewhere? I'd like to pass on the awareness and I know a few who would sign.

Maxime Durocher
CdM Featured Companion

Maxime Durocher

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 04:57:31 PM »

Question: Is it okay to share the link elsewhere? I'd like to pass on the awareness and I know a few who would sign.

Absolutely!
The more the better!

Thanks.  :)

NoGNoG
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 11:33:44 AM »

Power to the people.....

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/12/amnesty-international-just-backed-decriminalizing-the-sex-trade.html    /cheerleader
"If you believe passionately in what you are doing and whom you are doing it with, success is bound to follow.
~Anisa Kamadoli Costa
Liquidfyre
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 01:29:14 PM »

Awese. I'd been following that and the subsequent uproar from sex workers over Hollywood getting involved on the side of criminalization. There are some smart, witty female sex workers that I have a raging lady boner for after following them on Twitter.
Make me laugh. Engage my mind. Make me want you with your words. Teach me something new.
Maxime Durocher
CdM Featured Companion

Maxime Durocher

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 09:44:51 PM »

Amnesty International did the right thing, and I don't think it's because we pressured them. It's because it makes sense in terms of human rights and their researches and investigations proved it.

Kudos to humanity for this one.  ;D

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
Concierge Companion Forum, Sex worker rights activism Let's support Amnesty International - Theme by Mustang Forums