Concierge Companion Forum - Currently Reading...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 01:31:14 PM

Home | Help | Search | Login | Register
+  Concierge Companion Forum
|-+  The Main Lounge
| |-+  Art and Entertainment
| | |-+  Currently Reading...
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Currently Reading...  (Read 3278 times)
Quinn
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2017, 07:58:18 AM »

I read a lot of nonfiction. Most recently, I finished "Life Lessons" by Elizabeth Kubler-Ross and David Kessler. It's an older book, but very relevant. The two experts on death, dying, and grief share what they have learned about the important things in life from people who are at the end of their lives. The regrets humans have as they near death are things we probably all know, but mostly ignore because everyday life can get in the way: being true to ourselves, taking time for those we care about, the importance of patience, making time for play, etc.  The book serves as a good reminder to remember what is really important,  and gives advice on how to do that.
Tealight
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2017, 06:57:15 PM »

I've been in the mood for escapist fiction and have been devouring the Amory Ames series written by Ashley Weaver.  Its a cozy mystery set in the early 1930s and the first book is titled Murder at the Brightwell. The lead sleuth is a woman by the name of Amory Ames who, while experiencing problems with her marriage, runs off to the coast to help out an ex-fiance.  While there, a murder occurs and, with her ex-fiance as the prime suspect, she cant help but try to help solve the mysterywith the help of her husband!

I really enjoyed it and cant wait to read the rest of the series.

Another book I read was The Lightkeepers by Abby Geni.  Its shelved as mystery but I am a little less inclined to call it a true mystery.  Its the story of a nature photographer named, Miranda, and the year she spends on the Farallon Islands with a group of biologists.  Yes, there are crimes committed and, at the end, the perpetrator revealed, but they almost seem beside the point and dont really drive the plot.  The true story is about people running away from the past.  What I thoroughly enjoyed about the writing was her description of sublime nature and the natural order of things.  These descriptions can be a bit brutal but they were well-done, so I would most likely pick up another book by her.
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men..." -- Willy Wonka
Tealight
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2017, 05:37:30 PM »

I recently began reading the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child and am really enjoying it, which surprises me. Not great literature but good stories and characters. I will say that some of the descriptions of violence can be graphic and disturbing, but so far, those scenes have been few and far between.
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men..." -- Willy Wonka
Tealight
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2017, 10:59:43 AM »

I recently began reading the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child and am really enjoying it, which surprises me. Not great literature but good stories and characters. I will say that some of the descriptions of violence can be graphic and disturbing, but so far, those scenes have been few and far between.

Update: I take it back. I just read an earlier book in the series and it was much more filled with graphic violence. I'm still enjoying the series just wanted to provide a warning.
NoGNoG
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2017, 10:27:32 PM »

I love Jack Reacher. I've read every book in series.

Currently, I'm reading The Handmaiden's Tale.  Disturbing read. Institutionalized rape is not light reading.
"If you believe passionately in what you are doing and whom you are doing it with, success is bound to follow.
~Anisa Kamadoli Costa
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
Concierge Companion Forum, Currently Reading... - Theme by Mustang Forums