Concierge Companion Forum - New York City

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 05, 2019, 07:30:51 AM

Home | Help | Search | Login | Register
+  Concierge Companion Forum
|-+  The Main Lounge
| |-+  Travel and Leisure
| | |-+  New York City
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New York City  (Read 3077 times)
AddorSub
« on: March 25, 2015, 03:13:49 PM »

Has anyone traveled to (or lives in) NYC?

What are your favorite places? Restaurants, Hotels, Bars, Dancing, Activities... anything is game! 

:-*

Hayden Astbury
Companions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 07:53:09 PM »

Hello MsAdventure,

I've spent a little time in NYC.

One of my personal favorite restaurants is Black Tree. They strictly use local produce, and cook some mouth watering dishes.

:)
delir!ous
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 08:38:34 PM »

Hi MsAdventure - I have lived in NYC in the past and now travel there every month or so - any excuse will do. I love the Gramercy Park Hotel, a little quirky and in need of a touch-up, but in a great neighborhood. Have tried all the downtown hotels but keep coming back to that one.

The New Yorker has a great app, GoingsOn, which lists all kind of stuff and you can search by day or type of activity.

I don't know what kind of food you like, but whatever it is you will find it in NYC - I am mostly vegan, and spent a lovely morning recently at a very delicious vegan donut store in Williamsburg. 200 different types of donuts!!! And obviously good for you if they're vegan.

One thing I wouldn't miss is a long walk in Central Park, whatever the weather is like.

Oh, and another thing I did recently, with my father, was an American Institute of Architects tour by water right around Manhattan - lots of interesting information, and a great way to see the city.

I am always happy to talk about NYC, so feel free to send me a message!

Olivia
Pete
Companions

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 11:12:29 PM »

One thing I wouldn't miss is a long walk in Central Park, whatever the weather is like.

Olivia

+1
alexslogan
CdM Featured Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 09:33:23 PM »

I grew up in NYC and even now still think of it as home in many ways.

Gramercy Park hotel gets you a key into the park, one of the few really private outdoor spaces left in Manhattan. An indulgence but a nice one.

Library Bar is a nice space to unwind with a great selection of spirits. Wander through parts of the Lower East Side that haven't change to see a bygone era - The Tenement Museum, ditto going deep in to Chinatown where the tourists never go. Museum of Sex is tons of fun.

Summer outdoor concerts in Central Park, especially the Met Opera and NY Philharmonic. Free and under the starts; great for a picnic for 2 or a group get together. Or perhaps Mostly Mozart at Lincoln Center.

And thats without getting started with the sports teams.

Food: 2nd avenue deli for all the cholesterol you can eat or Per Se for a meal that takes hours .... and is worth it. And everything in between.

Try the Staten Island ferry from South Ferry to Staten Island.

And I've skipped about a million things. Deli of course naturally follows the Empire State.

Alex

Yes, Virginia (http://www.nysun.com/editorials/yes-virginia/68502/), Alex is Santa Claus  ...........................   
"If morning's echo says we sinned,
 well, it was what I wanted now."
www.alexslogan.com
Pennylover
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 01:06:07 PM »

Central Park was the only thing I liked about New York.

I'd like to see it again just to see if it was as wonderful as I remember.

Ari
NoGNoG
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 06:04:51 PM »

Ari,
I hope you had not gone with a gent from CdM. Was Central Park the only location you wanted to see while there?

Alex - great hidden note on key to Gramercy Park. I consider this a golden egg and have put in my basket.  /cheekkiss
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 06:10:03 PM by NoGNoG » Logged
"If you believe passionately in what you are doing and whom you are doing it with, success is bound to follow.
~Anisa Kamadoli Costa
Pennylover
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 07:49:02 PM »

No, Glory, this was not a companion trip.  New York is just so big and busy for me.  I felt overwhelmed. 

Alex is really playing the Cadbury Golden Egg game, he's got me all over the place.  I know he is going to make this fun, but I think you may have found a Golden Egg, Glory.

Ari
Maxime Durocher
CdM Featured Companion

Maxime Durocher

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 09:13:47 PM »

Oh, and another thing I did recently, with my father, was an American Institute of Architects tour by water right around Manhattan - lots of interesting information, and a great way to see the city.

I still need to diG through the MET, but this is definitively number twO on my List of things to Do in NYC!
Visit my website: MaximeDurocher.com

Favorite expressions in English: "Shit happens", "Whatever" and "Deal with it".
Luke_Jackson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 09:15:54 AM »

Hi MsAdventure!
I too live in NYC-- I've been here for two years now after a year in London. I'm certainly not a local yet, but I love the city and have gotten to know a lot of hidden corners. I live in Brooklyn, but work in Manhattan by day.

For food, there's a gem called Roman's in Brooklyn that has absolutely beautiful, nuanced Italian. Explore the food trucks at the Williamsburg flea market too.

I have to agree on the Gramercy Park Hotel-- it's truly elegant and beautiful. NoMad is quite nice as well. And of course it can be fun to stay in the upper floors of some of the famous Central Park hotels and look out over the city at night... especially nude. King of the world :-)

If you're looking for something a bit more scandalous, The Box is a pretty unique and unforgettable experience...

I have yet to try the Sleep No More show, but hear great things.

More to come as I think of it!
Yours,
Luke
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
Concierge Companion Forum, New York City - Theme by Mustang Forums