Concierge Companion Forum - Scary Stories To Tell in the Dark

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2019, 04:15:51 PM

Home | Help | Search | Login | Register
+  Concierge Companion Forum
|-+  The Main Lounge
| |-+  Art and Entertainment
| | |-+  Scary Stories To Tell in the Dark
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Scary Stories To Tell in the Dark  (Read 3818 times)
Tealight
Ladies

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2015, 12:51:15 PM »

It's October, which is by far my favorite month. This partially has to do with how deliciously spooky everything gets, particularly as Halloween gets closer.  Around this time of year, I'm always in the mood for a good scary story and I was wondering what your favorites are. Any scary movies, books, short stories, etc you'd like to recommend? What about "real" scary stories? Any real-life encounters with the paranormal anyone would like to share?

SSDGM
Kat O'9Tales
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 11:56:53 AM »

What a great thread, Lady Tealight!

I'm a fraidy Kat!  I remember being scard of the original Poltergeist move. Darkfall by Dean Koontz scared the crap outta me, I had to sleep with the lights on for a few days after reading it! Oh, remember in the movie Ghost, those freaky, dark demin-esque creatures who whisked away the guys who did evil or bad things? They creaped me out!

I like Halloween; I especially enjoy the creativity put into decorating yards and putting together unique, original costumes. Does anyone dress up for Halloween? If yes, what are you going to be this year?

Tealight
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 10:05:08 PM »

Oh, remember in the movie Ghost, those freaky, dark demin-esque creatures who whisked away the guys who did evil or bad things? They creaped me out!

I am definitely with you, on that! They still creep me out! Movie-wise, it was usually the premise of a movie that freaked me out more than the actual film. I remember spending time in the horror section of the video store just reading the summaries and freaking myself out.  When I got around to actually watching horror movies, it was more like, "oh, is that it? Meh..."  

A movie I enjoyed but which creeped me out was "The Mothman Prophecies." I tried reading the book the film was based on but the writing felt a little disjointed to me, and I couldn't really get into it.

Books-wise, Shirley Jackson never fails to creep me out...specifically, her "Haunting of Hill House" and "The Lottery."
SSDGM
NoGNoG
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 11:19:57 PM »

Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews is one of the creepiest books I have ever read.
"If you believe passionately in what you are doing and whom you are doing it with, success is bound to follow.
~Anisa Kamadoli Costa
Zoe
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 08:02:48 AM »

The movie Angel Heart scared the daylights out of me in college.  As for books, I read The exorcist on a all night bus ride one spring break *shivers*  and Steven King's IT had me jumping around in the shower. 😳
Tealight
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 10:59:08 PM »

Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews is one of the creepiest books I have ever read.

I've never read this but I know the story and agree...creepy!

The movie Angel Heart scared the daylights out of me in college.  As for books, I read The exorcist on a all night bus ride one spring break *shivers*  and Steven King's IT had me jumping around in the shower. 😳

I'm too much of a scaredy-cat to read either The Exorcist or IT.  The former because the movie freaked me out so much and the latter because of Pennywise.  I blame that clown from "Poltergeist."

Thought of other creepy movies: anything by David Lynch, particularly about how creepy he makes usually mundane moments.  A scene from "Lost Highway" was the first one to spring to mind. That scene where Robert Blake's character is talking to Bill Pullman in the middle of a party.  It begins as normal party small talk and then takes a creepy turn when Blake's character starts talking about how he's at his house at the same time as standing in front of him. Nothing about that should be creepy, but it is!
SSDGM
James Craig
CdM Featured Companion

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 08:22:12 PM »

The original "When a stranger calls" movie. I remember that scaring the crapola out of me when it came out.  :o
Tealight
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 10:19:01 PM »

The original "When a stranger calls" movie. I remember that scaring the crapola out of me when it came out.  :o

"Have you checked the children?"

Ugh, creepy! As was its sequel, "When a Stranger Calls Back." I still wonder if I'm ever truly alone in a seemingly empty room...
SSDGM
James Craig
CdM Featured Companion

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 07:15:14 PM »

"Have you checked the children?"

Ugh, creepy! As was its sequel, "When a Stranger Calls Back." I still wonder if I'm ever truly alone in a seemingly empty room...

That one very line was enough to see me dive behind the sofa cushions. (To be fair I was 27!) ;)
Kat O'9Tales
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 07:23:04 PM »

Want some company behind the sofa, James?
James Craig
CdM Featured Companion

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 06:36:23 PM »

Yes please! I think I'm gonna need it!  :o
NoGNoG
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 02:40:30 PM »

The movie "Misery" with Kathy Bates and James Caan.  I cover my eyes for most of it.

I have been known to squeeze the life out of companion's hand when I am watching a thriller, too.
"If you believe passionately in what you are doing and whom you are doing it with, success is bound to follow.
~Anisa Kamadoli Costa
Liquidfyre
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 05:57:03 PM »

Chicken here, who is still scared from watching Blair Witch all those years ago.
Make me laugh. Engage my mind. Make me want you with your words. Teach me something new.
James Craig
CdM Featured Companion

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 05:44:02 PM »

The movie "Misery" with Kathy Bates and James Caan.  I cover my eyes for most of it.

I have been known to squeeze the life out of companion's hand when I am watching a thriller, too.

That face when she walks in to give him a shot!!   :o
Kat O'9Tales
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 09:30:27 PM »

Yes please! I think I'm gonna need it!  :o

/makeout
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
Concierge Companion Forum, Scary Stories To Tell in the Dark - Theme by Mustang Forums