Concierge Companion Forum - American Election 2016

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 24, 2019, 03:53:42 PM

Home | Help | Search | Login | Register
+  Concierge Companion Forum
|-+  The Main Lounge
| |-+  News, Current Events, and World Affairs
| | |-+  American Election 2016
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: American Election 2016  (Read 4806 times)
Quinn
Ladies

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2016, 08:54:27 PM »

A few years ago Donald Trump stated, "the electoral college is a disaster for a democracy."

I think he was proved right yesterday.  :'(
Tealight
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 10:50:57 PM »

:'(

I am disappointed and heart-broken.
SSDGM
Quinn
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 10:29:05 AM »

I've been reading up on the electoral college. It turns out one of the original purposes was to protect the slave-holding states. Now, for the second time in 16 years, it has cheated the candidates who won the popular vote out of the presidency. It's time to get rid of it, but it will never happen with Republicans in power. Trump was right that the system was rigged. He just got the part wrong about who is favored. Some of those electors need to stand up and do the right thing. They can vote for someone else - even another Republican. If even 9 of them would do that, Trump wouldn't have his 278, and it would then be up to Congress. I suppose that would mean another Republican, but ANYONE is better than Trump.
alexslogan
CdM Featured Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 07:33:21 PM »

A few points:

If no candidate has a majority of the Electoral College the election does go to the House. However, the House can ONLY vote for the top 3 in votes in the Electoral College. Since only Trump and Clinton got Electoral College votes the House can only choose from among them.

There is a neat initiative in which states commit to giving their electoral votes to the winner of the national popular vote. It goes into effect once states with at least 270 electoral votes sign on. For more info http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/

The Electoral College won't go away since it would require an amendment. The smallest states and the swing states have every incentive to keep it (whether a Republocan or Democrat is in power) so no way to get to 37 states that ratify it.
Yes, Virginia (http://www.nysun.com/editorials/yes-virginia/68502/), Alex is Santa Claus  ...........................   
"If morning's echo says we sinned,
 well, it was what I wanted now."
www.alexslogan.com
Quinn
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 08:55:11 PM »

From what I have read, only blue states and large states have been willing to sign that agreement. As for the elctors, they don't have to vote for Clinton or Trump. They could vote for John McCain or Joe Biden, for eaxample. That would put a third person up for the vote in Congress. I know it's only wishful thinking that such a thiung would happen. It does look like some influential  people are standing up to Trump, though, and that is what we need. LA chief of police has said he will not let his force be used as a deportation force. Several mayors have said the same thing. Most of the Republicans who have actual national defense experience have said they will not accept any positions from him. I don't think the man has any idea what to do because he never thought he would win.

But what is most frightening to me is the fact that Trump has already emboldened the KKK, skinheads, etc. That stuff cannot be put back in the box now. His choice of Bannon only increases their confidence. I can't speak for others, but for me just being female makes me feel very vulnerable when I walk into public places populated by white males. I know that in my state 70% of them supported Trump. I look at them and know that they consider me fairly worthless. A hot young woman is only good for sex. Those who aren't so hot are good for cooking and cleaning. That is so degrading to all women. I would guess that minorities feel the same way, if they live in red states.

On top of that we have to add in his total disregard for the environment and his love of war.  These are indeed frightening times.
NoGNoG
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 03:56:28 PM »

I was told by 3 people how this will be a time of great change and as a citizen you can either be involved in the change or sit on the sidelines and bemoan the "state of affairs".

This is why we are where we are.  Millennials have had no idea one must vote to keep what you have.  For some reason Civics 101 escaped them and they did not think their vote counted.  Guess what? It would have. IF they had voted.  For some reason we had to prove it to them. Go figure. 

I do see more civil unrest as in DAPL, which is not done by the way.  I was in the streets my early adulthood. Not just for one cause, but for thousands of Americans.  Veterans, Seniors, Women, Children, Minorities, Education, Life.  History repeats itself.

The electoral college is a very simple concept, elect who has the ability to do the job.  Does the narcissist who is coming into the WH have the ability?  There is no thought in my mind, if I was an electorate it would be No.  Great go ahead give me a fine.  I will GoFundMe.com.  I would rather stand for my principle of protecting my country and constitution. Perhaps lose my life for that, then for a crazy person who can get to Nukes and destroy us all.

The message to the Millenials ..."Childhood is over and your future has arrived. It is now."

Again, this IMHO.

Love and Peace to you all here in our community.
"If you believe passionately in what you are doing and whom you are doing it with, success is bound to follow.
~Anisa Kamadoli Costa
Quinn
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 08:12:22 AM »

Part of the problem is that there is no longer a Civics 101. In high school, I was required to take a one semester course called US Government. By the time my brother - 4 years younger than me - go to high school, the class was no longer offered, let alone required. If Americans don't know how this country began, and what it is based on, do we even have a country anymore?

This election has really opened my eyes. I've been reading the comments sections after some of the news stories. I have learned that ignorance is rampant. One comment was, "It's a good thing Crooked Hillary didn't win . She would surly have started World War 2."  Um, didn't that happen about 70 years ago?  Several have cited studies showing that blacks and Hispanics have lower IQs than whites. Of course, such studies don't really exist. But I can't tell you about all of them - check them out yourselves. Some will make you laugh; some will make you cry.

I am truly afraid for my country.
NoGNoG
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 06:37:46 PM »

Quinn,
You are not alone. None of us are.  I am very much involved in a lot of issues.  I am now looking at the lobbying groups regarding Trump's cabinet choices. 

I thought we were lucky when we got through all of the GWB years with only the economy in the dumper.  Now we have so much more at stake.  What has been truly sickening is the kowtowing of the people who have gone to "meet" with the carnival barker.  The lack of integrity and principle is enough to make one's stomach crawl.

I am unable to speak to my sister, who by the way voted for this guy, my anger is still at the surface.  I refuse to validate and normalize this presidency.  At one point I will be in the Resistance.
"If you believe passionately in what you are doing and whom you are doing it with, success is bound to follow.
~Anisa Kamadoli Costa
Quinn
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 09:12:55 AM »

I have always been disappointed when Republicans won the Presidency, but until now, I have never been frightened. If the man doesn't lead us into a nuclear war, I'm afraid we are definitely going to need a resistance movement.

Like you, NoG, I have relatives and friends I haven't spoken with since the election. Two didn't vote at all because they didn't 'like' Clinton. The others were single issue voters. Some were worried about their guns. Others are wealthy and think Republicans protect their money from taxes. So, for their own selfish reasons, they voted fro a joke of a reality star who is racist, sexist, etc. There's no shortage of idiots in the world.
alexslogan
CdM Featured Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 08:45:43 PM »

Scary times ahead, I'm afraid
Yes, Virginia (http://www.nysun.com/editorials/yes-virginia/68502/), Alex is Santa Claus  ...........................   
"If morning's echo says we sinned,
 well, it was what I wanted now."
www.alexslogan.com
Quinn
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 09:57:23 AM »

Yes, it's not looking good.
Quinn
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 09:58:40 AM »

It's definitely not looking good.
NoGNoG
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2016, 03:28:32 PM »

It's definitely not looking good.

I'm  part of the Resistance. 
~Anisa Kamadoli Costa
Quinn
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 09:36:26 AM »

That's what we need to be. Unfortunately, I think that we are going to see our freedoms restricted, since he seems to think exercising freedom of speech is treason. I doubt that man ever read the Constitution. But he will have the Congress, Supreme Court, and his base of supporters backing him. Those supporters have already threatened violence against 'snowflakes.'
LostInWilderness

Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 03:24:16 PM »

There are pros and cons of every system. The electoral college is better understanding of the civics 101 unlike the dumb Americans who only care if their credit limit is high. Point in case Brexit referendum. Many didn't vote ,most that did didn't understand the slag or new internet meme called 'Brexit'.

Democracy is only as good as the people themselves. You deserve a king like yourselves. Get over it.

Apologies for speaking directly .
The probable impossibility is superior to the improbable possibility.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
Concierge Companion Forum, American Election 2016 - Theme by Mustang Forums