Concierge Companion Forum - American Election 2016

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 24, 2019, 02:47:16 AM

Home | Help | Search | Login | Register
+  Concierge Companion Forum
|-+  The Main Lounge
| |-+  News, Current Events, and World Affairs
| | |-+  American Election 2016
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: American Election 2016  (Read 4804 times)
Quinn
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 08:14:09 AM »

"Get over it."   Every time I hear or read those words, I want to respond with "What the  hell?'"  I prefer to continue living in a country with certain rights and freedoms. I prefer to avoid nuclear and other unnecessary wars. We have freedom of speech - at least at this point- and we need to use it to speak up for what we believe and let our representatives know what we want. That's why we have this type of government, not so we can roll over and play dead when people we don't agree with take office.

In my opinion, the electoral college and the election are not the issue here. Both are over. The issue is that a racist, sexist, science-denying, uneducated man has been elected to the presidency. We cannot just get over it and let him do what he wants. Some people voted for him because they shared his views on race and women. Some did because they feared their guns being taken. Most of those I know supported him because they are in the top 10% of income, and the only issue they cared about was lowering their taxes. They are the only ones who will get for what they voted.

Even in the states that went red, about half of the voters went the other way. That is true in my state. Now half the population is supposed to get over it, shut up, or leave the country. That is not what the United States of America is about.
NoGNoG
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 01:47:15 PM »

I am "over it" and moving forward. 
There was the Health Rally - last weekend in SFO.  There are so many who did not understand Obamacare was the ACA.  Which only shows me more racists in the group. I keep telling people to keep calling. The staffers are becoming overwhelmed in the capitol. 

Call Health and Human Services Dept. as well as your congressman.  Call the reps on Ways and Means. Call the Speaker and Senate Majority.  Emails are not as good.  They bulk them by category and don't read them all. If you write a letter send it to your district office.

Push the same for Planned Parenthood.  The ratio for men to women in House and Senate is so unbalanced. 

Unfortunately power is a commodity the GOP is holding and flipping the Congress is going to be difficult in two years. So we have to keep up the heat for a long time.  I've done it before and we all can do it again.
Support investigative journalism.

NoGNoG
"If you believe passionately in what you are doing and whom you are doing it with, success is bound to follow.
~Anisa Kamadoli Costa
Quinn
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 07:52:20 PM »

All good tips, NoGNog. Witht he Republicans holding all the power, I only hope it will be enough.
LostInWilderness

Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2017, 06:38:01 PM »

Yes all facts are true. There were more populist reasons like Ex-President Obama hinted gracefully. Despite the reasons the man was duly elected by the institution in place. The protesters make it seem like it's a Middle East dictatorship where the Elections were rigged. Each voice is just as important. People are free to vote for any reason - right or wrong (that they may believe is right). I repeatedly read 53℅ women voted for Trump.

The most important thing about journalism that has come to observation is the diluting of the intensity of truth because media likes to talk in hyperbole.

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/the-boy-who-cried-nazi

The probable impossibility is superior to the improbable possibility.
Tealight
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 07:48:37 PM »

More like we're trying to keep this country from becoming a dictatorship. You're right, each voice is important - protesters and Trump supporters alike. 
SSDGM
Quinn
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 09:37:03 AM »

I agree, Tea. I think there are reasons behind that 53% of women voted for Trump. First of all, I believe it was 53% of white women. Unfortunately, many young women threw away their votes by not voting at all because Bernie Sanders wasn't on the ballot. Evangelical women voted for Trump because they were told they had to in order to be true to their faith. Pro-lifers voted for him - one issue voters. In my limited social circle, I know many women who voted Trump because they are, in this day and age, still under their husbands' thumbs. They wouldn't 'cheat' and vote otherwise because they felt it was wrong not to do what there husbands wanted. The husbands supported Trump because of either gun rights or their desire for lower taxes (I wish them success with that). I'm not saying any of these reasons are good, but they are reality. I live in an agricultural state. People here are certainly not suffering economically, but they think Republicans will protect their money. I shake my head in confusion at this point.
NoGNoG
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2017, 05:21:08 PM »

Women who voted for trump were just as uneducated on civics as the women who didn't vote.  Yes, the ones who didn't believe their vote counted. Pfft.

We have voter suppression and gerrymandering in the Southern states. There were a lot of African Americans not even making it to the polls. 

This is a group of people, mostly white males, who want to dissolve the EPA, DOL, DOE. They want to dismantle the ACA, Medicare & Medicaid.

We aren't just fighting for Women's Rights.  We are fighting for the Social Net for Seniors (Eventually we all will be there), the homeless, the insured who used to not be insured, public education and our youth.  How many will even make it to college by the time we are 70?  Do we want more ignorance within our citizenry?  The list is endless. 

Then we are pushing back for clean air and water.  These two are more necessary for survival then oil will ever be.  But hey, the 1% believe they can take $$ with them when they leave this Earth. This is a group of oil men who are raping our country.  I fear for the people on the DAPL front line. I fear this will be the first government shot and death as it was at Kent State in 1970.

Too much power and money greedy Republicans wanting to put in an ill advised pipeline then to work on the jobs they ran on. Yes, jobs that were coming anyway. 

On top of all that I've been here before.  Marching in the streets and going to rallies for Women & Abortion rights and Stopping War.  There is power in people, but it can not stop &  if anything the momentum needs to keep gaining not decreasing. 

I want to thank CdM community to let me get on my soap box and ask all of you to pray and wish us Americans good luck.  We are in for some rocky years ahead.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 05:36:07 PM by NoGNoG » Logged
"If you believe passionately in what you are doing and whom you are doing it with, success is bound to follow.
~Anisa Kamadoli Costa
kitana
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2017, 05:28:15 AM »

I didn't intend to participate in that thread, as a Canadian I felt my words wouldn't be necessary nor informed... But all I can say is that I fear for you, and I fear for us up here, as many, many Canadians do. We were baffled as the campaign leaned more and more in favour of Trump, we were flabbergasted when he won the election, we were disheartened when the electoral college confirmed his election, and we are astonished and frightened at every one of his actions and decisions.

Is war coming? War against the USA and Mexico, China, etc? Is the USA falling back 100 years in its policies? Will it affect us? Of course it would. We saw it firsthand with the Quebec's mosque shooting. Of course it wasn't the first time that a Canadian or a Quebecer grabbed a gun and kill people in a public place. But it just falls too much into pace with the attitude of Trump and his supporters, white male supremacy, etc. It is frightening to see how stupid, racist, sexist, uneducated people feel empowered by the behaviour of their president.

Is there anything the American people can do to change the situation, beside marches? Can an American president be overcome by any legal mechanism? I sure hope, and I'm not the only one, that there are safeguards in place in case this goes too far (which it already did, in my opinion)...

Good luck to you all, and to us Canadians as well.
Hunt hard. Kill swiftly. Waste nothing. Offer no apologies.
Quinn
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 10:20:08 AM »

Thank you for joining in Kitana. I have the utmost respect for Canada, and your country is very tied to ours. There is the option of impeachment, and in my opinion, Trump has already done enough to merit that, but the Republicans continue to support him. It is so frightening.

NoG: your post summarizes the situation. EVERYTHING important is under attack. It's enough to make one's head swim. The attacks are coming so fast that it's a job just to keep up with them.

Gerrymandering doesn't just happen in the South. It happened in my state in the Upper Midwest. Here, it isn't racially based. It's simply to keep the Democratic vote irrelevant. When I write to my representatives in D.C., I can't even get a real response from them, just "thank you for sharing your thoughts".

Even though my state went Red this time, I remind myself that half of us didn't vote that way. I hope people in the Blue states remember they have many, many allies out here in the flyover zone. Since more than half the nation's population didn't vote Republican, I can only hope that the true will of the people will eventually prevail.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
Concierge Companion Forum, American Election 2016 - Theme by Mustang Forums