Concierge Companion Forum - Wanderlust -then and now

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 24, 2019, 02:45:48 AM

Home | Help | Search | Login | Register
+  Concierge Companion Forum
|-+  The Main Lounge
| |-+  Travel and Leisure
| | |-+  Wanderlust -then and now
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Wanderlust -then and now  (Read 7722 times)
Liquidfyre
Ladies

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2015, 07:19:14 PM »

Where do you want to go and where have you been (and any recs).

I dream of:

1. Scotland:  maybe for Burns day next year?
2. Italy for a year or two. This is on tap for next year - not a full year. Two weeks. Off the beaten path.
3. Greece - I'm a sucker for the underdog.
4.  Spain and Portugal
5.  Everywhere in the Middle-East
6.  Cuba (need to get there before it turns into Disney-Cuba).

I've been here:

Puerto Rico:  Ritz-Carlton was fantastic. Handwritten notes from the staff, their signature scent, the food, waterfront room on the top floor.

The Netherlands: Eindhoven, Den Hague, Maastricht.  Visited NL three times. Enjoyed the people, food -schwarma and frites, the trains, bikes, bars (giant jenga, pounding nails into tree stumps while drunk), the scenery and the lack of warning signs on windows.

Belgium: Ghent and Brugge. I love Western Europe. Trains, beer, more frites, chocolates, waffles, castles.

Mexico: annual visit to playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo. Mahekal is an incredible hotel on the best beach in playa. Full of Europeans and Canadians. No tv or internet in the rooms. Gorgeous water and people.  Tulum and akumal are not to be missed.

Italy: Rome. I'd wanted Italy since I discovered it was where pasta came from when I was 6.

Canada: Ottawa. Lovely city and people.
Make me laugh. Engage my mind. Make me want you with your words. Teach me something new.
Maxime Durocher
CdM Featured Companion

Maxime Durocher

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 09:45:41 PM »

Tulum and akumal are not to be missed.

Tulum is soooo beautiful!

I've been to many places, so I won't make an exhaustive list. France will always have a special place in my heart, especially Paris (which is like a second home to me) and the Cte-d'Azure. My favorite visits are Egypt (Cairo and the Nile), the Pyrenees (which I trekked for 3 months), Rome, Paris, London, Chichn Itz and Tulum.

I want to see more of New York, but my dream as always been Australia and I'm going this fall! I want to see the Great Wall of China, Machu Picchu (do part of the the inca trail!), Greece, Italy, New Zealand, Iceland and Mount Kilimanjaro.
Visit my website: MaximeDurocher.com

Favorite expressions in English: "Shit happens", "Whatever" and "Deal with it".
Liquidfyre
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 04:47:05 AM »

Nice, Maxime. If someone only had 48 hours in Paris, what should they not miss?

I need to add to my wanderlust now list:
Morocco for the architectural beauty, the markets
Germany for the Christkindlmarket
Mid-century modern and googie architecture tour through CA. Love atomic ranch homes.
Syria, before it's torn to pieces further, along with Turkey
I'd love to do a modern day tour of the Silk Road.

Counted last night and I've spent at least a week in 25 US states.
Make me laugh. Engage my mind. Make me want you with your words. Teach me something new.
NoGNoG
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 10:46:45 AM »

I am traveling to Havana in the fall.  I am very excited about everything.  All of the decisions and planning regarding this vacation have been fun.  Every so often I have to tamp down my expectations, so I will be able to stay in the moment when my vacation starts.   

Though learning phrases in Spanish is pointing out -- No tengo ms cajones archivadores en el cerebro.  :P
"If you believe passionately in what you are doing and whom you are doing it with, success is bound to follow.
~Anisa Kamadoli Costa
Liquidfyre
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 01:24:37 PM »

Jealous beyond belief of your trip to Havana.
Maxime Durocher
CdM Featured Companion

Maxime Durocher

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 09:42:08 PM »

Nice, Maxime. If someone only had 48 hours in Paris, what should they not miss?

Difficult. Two days in the Louvre is not enough. Should at least spend half a day there. Do not miss Notre-Dame de Paris! Walk Les Champs de Mars, Le Jardin des Tuileries and Les Champs-lises, La Seine, especially Le Port des Arts and l'le de la Cit, that will give you a good feel of Paris. See the Arc de Triomphe and the Eiffel tower (go up in it to see the view because its worth even if its the worst clich ever, you have to do it once... I haven't in a long while and I want to do it again!).

Buy the Paris Restaurant Michelin Guide and eat at the best restaurant you can for every meal and always ask the waiters for their recommendation. Never miss out on French cuisine, it would be a sacrilege.

For the rest it depend on what you like. There are many beautiful places to visit in Paris. Like Le Jardin Luxembourg, Le Cimetire Pre-Lachaise, the boulevard St-Germain, near La Sorbone... I mean, go nuts!

I'd spend every waking moment inside museums if I could. Can you believe I've been been to the catacombs? Shame on me. It's on my list, but I always do something else. Next time, I'm buying the museum pass that lets you access every museum including the Louvre and the catacombs.

NoGNoG
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 10:21:57 PM »

Oh Versailles on one of the two days a year the fountains are on.  /thumbsup
The Dali Museum in Montmartre. Walk the streets up to Sacre Coeur take the Metro back to Paris, drop in a jazz club for dinner and entertainment.  Savor Museum d'Orsay and mass at Notre Dame.

Boulevard Haussmann shopping and much, much more and not the Louvre. Never stepped into it. I don't feel as if I missed anything either.  Plus, American bakeries do not know a true croissant or creme brulee.  ;D

What a trip! Hired Helen, a holder of a Art History Degree professional guide.  She picked out the lunch eateries and I picked out the wines. Starting each morning with her at the curb with the driver.  /cheerleader

I'd go back in a heart beat.    /makeout
"If you believe passionately in what you are doing and whom you are doing it with, success is bound to follow.
~Anisa Kamadoli Costa
Pete
Companions

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 12:02:04 AM »

Mid-century modern and googie architecture tour through CA. Love atomic ranch homes.

I love those ranch homes, "suburban phenomenon" so much !!!
Maxime Durocher
CdM Featured Companion

Maxime Durocher

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 09:31:24 AM »

Versaille is a great destination, but it's a fair bit outside of Paris. Going by RER is the easiest way to do it without renting a car, but don't forget to buy the right ticket, because the penalty is 400. I wouldn't do it if I only had 48h in Paris.

The Dali Museum in Montmartre.

Montmartre is a beautiful part of Paris, really worth the walk.

NoGNoG
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 11:40:32 AM »

Versaille is a great destination, but it's a fair bit outside of Paris. Going by RER is the easiest way to do it without renting a car, but don't forget to buy the right ticket, because the penalty is 400. I wouldn't do it if I only had 48h in Paris.
Hiring the correct full service guide, the ride is handled and so is the ticket. No lines, no hassle and a guide who knows the history.  Perfect.  Two days and pinpoint precision to all stops.

The Dali Museum in Montmartre.

Montmartre is a beautiful part of Paris, really worth the walk.

True.  I am a lover of Salvador Dali art and textiles. The day of the walk destination and location were inhaled to my heart and soul.   Plus, I am able to say the ink engraving lithograph is a real Dali on my living room wall.
I relive the experience every day.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 11:45:27 AM by NoGNoG » Logged
~Anisa Kamadoli Costa
Maxime Durocher
CdM Featured Companion

Maxime Durocher

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 04:41:36 PM »

Hiring the correct full service guide, the ride is handled and so is the ticket. No lines, no hassle and a guide who knows the history.  Perfect.  Two days and pinpoint precision to all stops.

That helps!  Hehehe

Plus, I am able to say the ink engraving lithograph is a real Dali on my living room wall.

Impressive!

alexslogan
CdM Featured Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 02:11:09 AM »

Oh lord, so many places done so many more I want to see.

Cuba before the hordes get there
China
Mountains of Nepal
Victoria Falls
The African jungles and tundras
Antartica

Have had the good fortune to see much of Europe and chunks of Australia, Japan and even the United States and Canda.

Alex
Yes, Virginia (http://www.nysun.com/editorials/yes-virginia/68502/), Alex is Santa Claus  ...........................   
"If morning's echo says we sinned,
 well, it was what I wanted now."
www.alexslogan.com
Maxime Durocher
CdM Featured Companion

Maxime Durocher

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 06:19:32 AM »

The African jungles and tundras

Those are impressive. I preferred the tundras for some reason. Maybe because you can see further out. I want to do a safari in the large interior Okavango Delta in Botswana.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 06:21:26 AM by Maxime Durocher » Logged

Anthony Asanti
Anthony Asanti
Companions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 02:44:47 PM »

I've been to Kenya, Mexico and lived in Germany for 1 year.

I would like to visit:
Suriname
Brazil,
Guinea
Senegal
Ivory Coast
Haiti

Ultimately I would love visit at least one country on each continent.
Life is so much sweeter when lived with passion, boldness and on your own terms.

Anthony Asanti
http://www.anthonyasanti.com
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
Concierge Companion Forum, Wanderlust -then and now - Theme by Mustang Forums