Concierge Companion Forum - Australian Wine

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2019, 04:12:21 PM

Home | Help | Search | Login | Register
+  Concierge Companion Forum
|-+  The Main Lounge
| |-+  Travel and Leisure
| | |-+  Australian Wine
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Australian Wine  (Read 5138 times)
NoGNoG
Ladies

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2009, 09:11:49 PM »

Pixie -
Are you back?  Didn't you go wine tasting on your holiday?  Share your info....Christmas is upon us, I am buying for friends.

Or to anyone out there that has preferences.  I, myself, like Pinot Noir and Cabernet Savignon.  Oh and don't forget Champagne, Madeira, and my Remy.  ;D
I did have an excellent Chateauneuf du Pape in France.  Alas, I won't be going there for a while.  :(

NoGNoG
"If you believe passionately in what you are doing and whom you are doing it with, success is bound to follow.
~Anisa Kamadoli Costa
visitor001

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 01:54:03 AM »

Chablis, Chablis and erm...Chablis  ;D. Even with my steak (call me a heretic). Although partial to Pouilly-Fum if Chablis is not around.

'Love is something eternal; the aspect may change, but not the essence'

- Vincent van Gogh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib3mrQjvN3w
pixie
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 11:34:42 AM »

Cole, Chablis with steak ? Really, how shocking. Almost tops my liking for Shiraz with fish.  ;)
Just goes to show that with wine, as with life, rules are made to be broken. 

I did indeed taste many outstanding wines on my trip to Australia. Problem is though that most of them are not available in Europe or the US. Anyway, here are my top picks.

Montalto Pinot Noir 2008 (Mornington Peninsula) - This was so good I brought a bottle back. 

Montalto Cuvee One 2006 - A lovely sparkler easily equal to many Champagnes.

Paringa Estate 2007 Shiraz (Mornington Peninsula) - Very classy.

Dog Point Sauvignon Blanc (New Zealand) - Full of flavour.

Leeuwin Estate Art Series 2006 Chardonnay (Margaret River) - Pricey but very elegant.

Clover Hill 2006 (Tasmania) - A really outstanding sparkling wine, not only equal to but better than many Champagnes I have tried. The stewardess serving me on my Emirates flight came from Tasmania and she said she preferred this wine to the Dom Perignon she was pouring for me and I can see her point. 

I think the last three on the list are available outside of Australia.

Happy quaffing !
alexslogan
CdM Featured Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 09:16:34 PM »

Clover Hill 2006 (Tasmania) - A really outstanding sparkling wine, not only equal to but better than many Champagnes I have tried. The stewardess serving me on my Emirates flight came from Tasmania and she said she preferred this wine to the Dom Perignon she was pouring for me and I can see her point. 

I think the last three on the list are available outside of Australia.

Happy quaffing !
This one can definitely be found in the US. I have seen the 2004 and 2005 but not the 2006 yet. It is an excellent sparkling wine; holds up well to many champagnes. Admittedly I am partial to Rose champagnes so it did not make it into my absolute favorite lists but darn good wine.
Yes, Virginia (http://www.nysun.com/editorials/yes-virginia/68502/), Alex is Santa Claus  ...........................   
"If morning's echo says we sinned,
 well, it was what I wanted now."
www.alexslogan.com
xxx
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 11:59:48 AM »

Unfortunately, although I have lived in Australia since a teenager, I can't add anything to the conversation here.  When it comes to wine, I am a total plebeian (I am allergic to the preservative).  I only drink Champagne or cocktails.  My all-time favourite drink is water.  Boring, I know.

Christina
visitor001

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 03:28:50 PM »

Does Australia have Chablis?  ;D

I was taking a stroll through the airport this evening and they had a whisky stall out in the duty-free section. The assistant asked me if I wanted to try some and I thought why not. I had a shot of Macallan, MMmmmm...I thought, that tasted pretty good. Just to check that my taste wasn't playing tricks on me I had a shot of JW Black label, and that was pretty good as well. Hitherto I thought I wasn't a fan of Whisky, but now I'm converted. I guess it's true what they say about your taste buds changing and developing over time.

Or maybe I'm just becoming long in the tooth  ;).

C

- Vincent van Gogh

xxx
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 11:56:21 PM »

I'm not sure.  I had to google (!!!) but from the scant results, I gather not.  I'm not a good person to ask though.  To me, it all tastes like vinegar, only more putrid.  Sorry.

Christina  :)
alexslogan
CdM Featured Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 11:48:49 AM »

Australia is best known for Chardonnay, Shiraz, Pinot Noir. There is also Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Sauvignon Blanc.

More recently there has been interest in expanding and reviving Viognier. A restaurant in Sydney, Quay, was offering a flight of them at a very very nice price during July-August 2009.
Yes, Virginia (http://www.nysun.com/editorials/yes-virginia/68502/), Alex is Santa Claus  ...........................   
www.alexslogan.com
visitor001

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 12:06:09 PM »

I'm not sure.  I had to google (!!!) but from the scant results, I gather not.  I'm not a good person to ask though.  To me, it all tastes like vinegar, only more putrid.  Sorry.

Christina  :)

Chablis can only be called Chablis if it's erm.....from Chablis designated Appellation d'Origine Contrle .

Excuse-moi, I was just tweaking your nipples on the subject ;).

Moi

- Vincent van Gogh

James Craig
CdM Featured Companion

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 12:18:04 PM »

Oh Cole you nipple tweaker you.  :)

I believe that you are correct with the wines and their allowed names. I think that was why California, when told that they could not call their blended reds "Bordeaux" decided to invent the "Meritage" product.

(BTW The movie Bottle Shock is pretty good viewing and follows the story (true) of how Napa and Sonoma took on the French in blind wine tasting and won.)

That said, I bet the cheese brand CHEDDAR are kicking themselves. ;)
alexslogan
CdM Featured Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 12:31:28 PM »

(BTW The movie Bottle Shock is pretty good viewing and follows the story (true) of how Napa and Sonoma took on the French in blind wine tasting and won.)

They then did the same taste test 30 years later (not with the same vintage  /LOL ) and the Californian wines won again.
www.alexslogan.com
NoGNoG
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 02:39:58 PM »

I saw it too.  I found it interesting.  Also, goes to show you how wonderful and beautiful my part of the world is. ;)

NoGNoG
"If you believe passionately in what you are doing and whom you are doing it with, success is bound to follow.
~Anisa Kamadoli Costa
NoGNoG
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 02:41:47 PM »

Monterey Jack is local and yummier.
~Anisa Kamadoli Costa
James Craig
CdM Featured Companion

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 04:35:08 PM »

Monterey Jack is local and yummier.

Than some of the wonderful Cheddar's that come from the actual place?
I respectfully disagree but you know us English.  /LOL
NoGNoG
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 07:22:02 PM »

No one better than I, currently;)

I have also found out what better than knowing one Englishman?

TWO Englishmen/LOL
~Anisa Kamadoli Costa
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
Concierge Companion Forum, Australian Wine - Theme by Mustang Forums