Concierge Companion Forum - Artists with different faces ?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 21, 2020, 04:21:10 PM

Home | Help | Search | Login | Register
+  Concierge Companion Forum
|-+  The Main Lounge
| |-+  Art and Entertainment
| | |-+  Artists with different faces ?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Artists with different faces ?  (Read 1729 times)
Julien
CdM Featured Companion

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2011, 02:05:12 PM »

A more or less recurring theme is that Companions should be themselves - rather than playing to be someone else.

So what about (other...) artists? When are they themselves, and when do they play to be someone else?
Or can they be themselves even when playing to be someone else?

Thought of this viewing this cello duo in two different performances

1) Stjepan Hauser and Luka Sulic - Smooth Criminal
By the way,this first video is the most fantastic cello playing I have ever seen.  /cheerleader
And note that ever single sound you hear in this whole video from the very start is coming out of a cello..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlVbEclPj4c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

2) And can you believe next movie are the same guys?
Stjepan Hauser and Luka Sulic - Shostakovich: Prelude
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc_QKCVOJkw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This latter one makes my grandma weeping. The first one she wouldn't call music  ;D

Julien

"The absurd man is he who never changes"
Auguste Barthlemy
Adam Evans
Companions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 05:34:55 PM »

Both performances were brilliant Julien. However, I don't believe that one style has to be the "true" version of the artists self while the other is an illusion crafted for the audiences benefit. Everyone has different facets of their personality and the instrument in their hands can be the perfectly adaptive outlet for the different aspects of their being. Both performances could be completely honest insights into the artists.

Is it possible to make the comparison of the artist as the Patron and the instrument as the Companion? Depending on the mood of the artist, the instrument will adapt itself accordingly, be what the artist needs it to be and help provide the necessary outlet. Regardless of who is playing it the cello doesn't change, it stays rooted in itself. It just gives what the artist desires of it at that particular moment. Sometimes the tune played will be classical and sensual, sometimes it will bold and heated, but at the core of it the instrument is still itself...

Adam
I swear to you, there are divine things more beautiful than words can tell. -Walt Whitman

Julien
CdM Featured Companion

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 12:45:01 AM »

Interesting view Adam!

I was actually thinking the analogy differently, the Companion being the musician, and the Patron the instrument... ::)
You may have noticed the different kind of instruments, electric cello's in the first and classic acoustic in the second. So each type of instrument provokes it's own music and atmosphere, to which the artist should adapt, without losing his artistic-self...

But the most important thing is making and enjoying great music. As you remarked, both performances were brilliant, each in it's own way.

Julien
"The absurd man is he who never changes"
Auguste Barthlemy
Amber
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 11:58:14 PM »

People are like onions. 

In the sense that they all have layers and one layer never precludes the other.  Not in the sense that if you chop them up under water they won't make you cry.  Although, honestly, I've never tested the latter.
If good and evil are two sides of the same coin, then my coin is balanced on edge.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
Concierge Companion Forum, Artists with different faces ? - Theme by Mustang Forums