Concierge Companion Forum - Anybody got a Kindle?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2019, 04:14:32 PM

Home | Help | Search | Login | Register
+  Concierge Companion Forum
|-+  The Main Lounge
| |-+  Travel and Leisure
| | |-+  Anybody got a Kindle?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Anybody got a Kindle?  (Read 2680 times)
intimatelistener

View Profile WWW
« on: February 20, 2011, 04:05:41 PM »

E-books? Well, yes, I'd rather read a proper book. BUT...

I'm on the road a lot in March and want to know whether I can use a Kindle for email as well. Will the built-in 3G Wifi let me log into CDM and check my hotmail account? If anybody knows for sure, or has actually used one for regular internet, I'll be buying on Amazon tomorrow!

Thanks..

Barnaby
Former User
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 04:53:31 PM »

I use my iPhone for every thing when traveling ,in fact I'm on it now ;D
Money can't buy happiness but it can certainly rent it for a couple of hours.
James Craig
CdM Featured Companion

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 07:45:42 PM »

I don't have any Kindle knowledge but for some reason do not like the fact that e-readers have the ability to track everything you read and also each page you stop at. Call me paranoid but being this way has stopped "them" getting me. :)

I suppose that's the same as i-tunes in all reality but I would rather buy a book or audio CD.
intimatelistener

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 10:01:52 AM »

Very helpful, Kin! I can always rely on you for a smile...

Thanks James. I'm of the same mindset, actually. In fact, I still use a turntable to play records. Funnily enough, a uni student popped round once and she didn't know that vinyl has a B side - I guess she'd only ever seen CDs! Oh, technology, eh?

Anyway, I don't think the e-reader transmits what you're reading to a third party or a database. So the page you stop at is surely only for your benefit and Big Brother won't be watching? Yep, I'll call you paranoid!

Anybody else? - I'm totally up for heading to the Amazon site right away..
James Craig
CdM Featured Companion

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 12:34:32 PM »

Very helpful, Kin! I can always rely on you for a smile...

Thanks James. I'm of the same mindset, actually. In fact, I still use a turntable to play records. Funnily enough, a uni student popped round once and she didn't know that vinyl has a B side - I guess she'd only ever seen CDs! Oh, technology, eh?

Anyway, I don't think the e-reader transmits what you're reading to a third party or a database. So the page you stop at is surely only for your benefit and Big Brother won't be watching? Yep, I'll call you paranoid!

Anybody else? - I'm totally up for heading to the Amazon site right away..

http://www.npr.org/2010/12/15/132058735/is-your-e-book-reading-up-on-you

Food for thought though.
NoGNoG
Ladies

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 05:57:55 PM »

Actually, I currently use a Palm LifeDrive and awaiting the HP Palm Pad launch.

If I absolutely NEEDED something right this minute I would get the new slim Mac.  I wouldn't stick with "just" a reader.  You can download adobereader to your smartphone and have a better book selection with independent sites before Amazon.

I'm with James on the Big Brother routine. :)   I like to have variety and independence with my electronics as well as my men.
 /LOL

NoGNoG
"If you believe passionately in what you are doing and whom you are doing it with, success is bound to follow.
~Anisa Kamadoli Costa
intimatelistener

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 01:48:51 AM »

@James: I stand corrected, sir. An interesting article indeed. That's now two of us that are paranoid..

@NoGNoG: Excellent - that's the sort of advice I was looking for. What I need first, I suppose, is a phone that at least takes photographs... Lol. I'll google these toys you mention (I'm curious about technology as well as women)..
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
Concierge Companion Forum, Anybody got a Kindle? - Theme by Mustang Forums